Sunday, May 06, 2012
Granola
I know we just moved in, we are still getting settled, and kids aren't in the picture yet. But, they will be in a year or two, and when they happen, the people around me better get used to the reality that I will not be giving up my "granola" habits and I have some strong feelings about how kids should be raised. Do I think it will be perfect, easy or simple? Definitively no. Will this future child have only wooden, organic things? No. But I will try to have as few chemicals and cheap plastic things around. If it's a sunny day and this kid insists on playing a DS or whatever the handheld gaming device of the day is, then at least they can do it outside - because I know that there will be video games in this child's life. But there will be a balance. There will be playing in dirt and mud puddles and playing with plants and make believe and blocks and legos and books and painting and field trips and animals. There will be a concerted effort to have healthy, not so processed food, but I know there will be junk food too. Chances are this kid won't be a vegetarian like me - and I don't really care. If they want to be when they are old enough to decide then they'll need to have a balanced diet - and that's something I know I'll have to work on myself. While there might not be "church" in the strict sense of religion - there will be an understanding of spirituality, kindness, respect, and giving back to the community. I'll try and balance the consumerism with simplicity. I can't give this child the childhood I had - and it was a great childhood, but not perfect. I'll still lean "granola" as those people in my life like to call it in their disparaging way -but I don't think that's a bad thing. I'll strive to have a well mannered, respectful, polite child who keeps their sense of wonder and creativity, who likes to learn and play and experience. I'll strive to have firm and fair expectations, consistency and routines that have been shown to be helpful for children. I'll try to keep to a normal schedule with regular bedtimes, but I know that it won't always happen. Back to basics isn't a bad thing, and this "granola" life that some look down their noses at worked out pretty well for me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The "granola" people feel looked down upon by the, um, "non-granola" people- but the opposite is definitely true as well. If comments are annoying you now, wait till you actually have the kids!
I suggest:
1) not putting too much pressure on yourself, cause this stuff is hard
2) crack lots of jokes about the people who are judging you because it helps to relieve stress. :)
I'd suggest something here about how we should all just be nice and non judgemental to each other but 2 years and 4 months of parenting has taught me this is just. not. going. to. happen. I'm a cynic. :)
-Lisa
Post a Comment