Sunday, April 15, 2012

Home ownership

Now don't get me wrong, I really am enjoying living in our own place - not a rental, not a property owned by family members.  And I love that it's a place that we get to make our own - it's not a place that one of us has lived in for years and the other person moves into their space.  But home ownership is a lot of work and so far it's been expensive.  It's the end of the 3rd weekend we've lived here and I wouldn't call us close to being done unpacking.  Some rooms are close, the bedroom is probably the closet, or the guest room, my sewing room isn't bad (though, I have a feeling it's going to change arrangement shortly with the arrival of a "new to me" sewing machine and table so I haven't done the final touches).  There are some rooms that are still almost completely in boxes - the "library" is one of those rooms, I haven't unpacked a single box of books.  In the office my desk is now built but I haven't unpacked my computer yet, and Robert's desk hasn't even arrived so that area is still very much a work in progress.  The room that is the least set up is the living room upstairs - the furniture is ordered, should get here this week, hopefully it is in better shape than the table (still waiting to hear back about that repair).   Other than mowing the lawn this weekend no work has been done in the yard, but, for the most part it doesn't really need anything right now - there are summer projects that need to happen, but that isn't here or now.  We've done our fair share (and then some probably) of stimulating the economy so there better be some growth on that front.  My commute is different, but not bad, and Roberts is infinitely better.  We are close to friends and family (well, Robert's family) and the house is really set up for the kinds of socializing that we do - boys downstairs, girls upstairs,.  Solomon is so happy to have a fenced yard to run around in, though the cat is not pleased that we have a busier road making him an inside only cat.  I definitely have some projects in mind for the summer - in the yard, decorating inside, etc, but for the most part, I think we will be settled in shortly after the rest of the furniture arrives - a good time to have a housewarming party I guess. It's not unlivable as it is though - there is more space than I know what to do with at the moment - which is good, we wanted a house we could grow into, and we have that - no plans for children yet, but when that decision does happen my sewing room will just move downstairs.  I'll post pictures soon, but, I haven't taken any yet so it makes it hard to post them.

No comments: