About the same time I learned to use my serger I realized just how
dirty it was. It had clearly been left out where it got dusty and dirty. Sadly it wasn't the kind of dirty and dusty that you can take a swiffer to and be done. This was a greasy dusty dirty coat on everything that required some serious cleaning. Once I had it done, I decided I really never wanted to do that again, and as I didn't have any other case to put my machines in when not in use I decided to make some covers for both machines.
 |
| Naked (but clean) serger |
 |
| Naked sewing machine. |
|
|
I knew I didn't need to buy a pattern based on what I wanted (no pockets, no slits or anything fancy at all) and all machines are slightly different anyways. So I literally traced the outline of the five sides (4 sides and top) onto newsprint, and used that as a pattern. And I knew I didn't need to buy more fabric, I have PLENTY of that around. So, a few hours of work later (some trial and error was used in the process) I ended up with two covers.
 |
| Not so naked sewing machine. |
 |
| Not so naked serger. |
When I got to the point where I had serged the inside seams, and hemmed the bottom I realized that even though there was a front and back side for each I really couldn't tell which side was which without careful consideration to angles. I had some iron on appliques around, so, easy-peasy embellishment / front side marker.
The main difference between the two covers (aside from the obvious fabric, shape and size differences) was that I decided to stiffen up the serger cover (I didn't want it to be too limp over the thread) with some fusible interfacing, and I put a basic slit in my sewing machine cover because I usually leave it plugged in (but off) when it's not in use. Now all I have to do is throw them in the wash when they get grimey and I don't have to wash my machine again!
1 comment:
I just made a sewing machine cover and posted about it too! I like your appliques, I thought of doing that but then really like the look of the fabric I used, and didn't want to distract from it!
xox
Post a Comment