Sunday, March 06, 2011

Going off the pattern

A few weeks ago, my friend Jenna gave me a project along the lines of which I haven't ever done before. Not a hard project, but one that was more of a puzzle. She has a baby boy on the way, and has a changing table with one of those older, non-contoured pads which aren't really in vogue at the moment and so, hard to find covers for. I figured since it's basically a rectangle, it couldn't be that hard so I went by, picked up the pad and set to work.

(before)

Then I went to one of my new favorite places, Pacific Fabrics (they have an amazing selection of fabric, including a really nice flannel section - which was my intended fabric of choice). I found two lovely blue fabrics, one with the little stars, and one a deep navy with some slight variation that you can't really see in this photo.


(fabric choices)

After some fussing around and re-arranging and some advice from Ruth, I decided to go with a duvet style cover, something you could pretty much slip on over the pad and not have to do a zipper or Velcro fastening. Basically an overlapping envelope. After making the first one I decided that a couple of snaps would be good to keep everything in place. The first one was a lot slower to make since it basically served as the pattern for the second.


(duvet style opening)


(with snaps!)


(finished product)

All in all a fun project that made me think a little more than I usually do since I didn't have a direct pattern to follow. Plus, making baby things are another one of my favorite things - they are just so cute!

1 comment:

NatiliaVish said...

I'm impressed- very talented!! I think if you wanted to, you could totally sell this kind of stuff on Etsy... moms go NUTS for this kind of thing...
-Lisa