Monday, August 30, 2010

Birthday Bags for Class

I try and do something for each kid in my class for their birthday. I was terribly unsuccessful with a little postcard and pencil my first year. Then last year I asked them on their information survey what was their favorite sweet treat / candy. Then on their birthday (or half birthday - or day closet to their birthday if it was over a holiday or weekend) I used my happy birthday stamp on a brown lunch bag and put their treat on their desk. The one time I let them eat candy in class by the way.

This year I've decided that the paper bag route is too wasteful and quite boring as they get dumped in the garbage or recycling right away. And I like to sew so I've decided to make them all little drawstring bags for their candy. The downside is I can't write their name and birthday on them so its harder to pre-organize all the treats. Anyways, here is what I did.

I cut a whole bunch of fabric (some new and some leftovers from other projects) into long stripes about 6" by 18". The quilting rulers and rotary cutters were fabulous for that.


Then I did what basically was a really big hem or casing by folding the fabric on the two narrow ends twice - once big and once small.



Then I ran a seam along the very bottom of the fold creating a casing. Then, right sides together and narrow sewn tops together I stitched up the sides, starting at the bottom and not going over the casing seam.
Flip it right side out if you want (but it's easier if you don't until after you do the drawstrings). For the drawstrings, cut two pieces of ribbon for each bag, long enough for each piece to go through both casings. String the ribbon through so that each side has two ends of the same string sticking out. Tie the ribbon into a solid knot. Now when you pull on both ends it should draw closed....


...Like so.

Now they can reuse them for other things and I got a good batch of sewing in this summer.



No comments: