Sunday, August 30, 2009

Levi's Quilt

Over the summer (two Tuesday afternoons) I got together with Mrs. Kenney (Ruth) to learn how to quilt. I knew that there was a little baby coming during the summer and I wanted to make something special. Once I found out that it was going to be a little boy I decided on my color scheme - White and Black (because babies don't see color at first) and Red, (because that is the first color they see). Upon the advice of Ruth, I went to get my fabrics at Country Village's Keepsake Cottage Fabrics, because they were recommended to have the best selection and be incredibly helpful. Here are the fabrics I picked out.

for the inner border


for the outside border



the three fabrics that formed the rail fence pattern


and the outside frame of the quilt that ties it all together

We decided to not use batting, but instead use black fleece as it is nice and soft. Ruth did the stitching of the front and back together and helped me with the other parts, but I think I could do it on my own now if I wanted to do another quilt. It was a lot of fun to make a quilt thinking about the baby that it was going to be for. I dropped it off when Levi was about 2 weeks old and got to meet him for the first time. I hope he likes it when he gets older!

The finished product!



1 comment:

Ruth said...

Hi Laurel,
I love how you showed pictures of just little snippets of the quilt at a time, leading up to a picture of the finished product. That quilt did turn out so great! And it was fun to work with you on it.