Tuesday, March 20, 2012

auction baskets

Our "Boy" Basket/Tub
Our school hosts the rotary club evening homework support club a couple of times a week and the rotary has been very supportive of our school and programs, donating supplies and whatnot.  Every year they put on a fundraising auction and this year Ruth and I took the lead on a baby basket for the auction.  I didn't have a lot of time or energy to devote to it this year what with the moving and thinking I was doing National Boards, so I made a large number of simple projects.  Jo-Ann fabrics had their $1.99 flannel sale and so I got 10 different fabrics at 1 yard a piece.  I used this flannel in two ways - I made an approx. 36"x36" receiving blanket (basic hem) and used the rest to embellish burp clothes.  One of my new favorite projects is making burp clothes - I used to do terry cloth / flannel burp clothes (double sided) but then I decided to use the pre-fold diapers (they usually come in packs of 10) and use flannel and grosgrain ribbon to make them look pretty and more special.  So for less than $20 worth of fabric, the cost of ribbon (of which I already had some) and the cost of the prefold diapers I ended up with 10 sets of matching burp clothes and receiving blankets. We ended up making two baskets - one girl and one boy because between Ruth and I and the other donations we had a lot of stuff for this basket. Last year our head custodian won it - which  was great because later in the year he ended up fostering his darling little girl.  Who knows who has these baskets - lucky them is all I can think :).

No comments: