Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Happy Winter!

I've been busy, with all the usual things - grading (I'm never really caught up -ever!) and trying to figure out this buying a house thing, and Christmas present figuring out (all done - hopefully there will be more about that later) and more grading and plotting and planning more baby things (to be clear - NOT for me - that is still an undecided issue at the moment).

There are a number of babies to make things for. Recently there were two co-workers that had babies during the year. I see them all the time as fellow educators so it's nice to do something for the parent side of them. Then there are the children of friends who are growing up oh so quickly and making things for birthdays and what not - just wait Levi I have some great ideas for you when you get a bit bigger and too bad Cameron, I don't make video games. But there are two (maybe more?) babies that are coming in the new year that I am plotting and planning for. Ruth and I are going fabric shopping next week (because sometimes you just need a second opinion) and I have some really fun ideas I think. Boys are such a different breed to make things for - I love them, but somebody needs to have a girl because I have some really cute girl ideas and I don't think that Brian will go for ruffles for his boy. I'm plotting two quilts - one for each boy, and some other stuff to go along with it because I just love making baby things, they are so soft and tiny! I'm wondering if I should make something for the older siblings as well so they don't feel so un-special anymore, but those ideas haven't really developed yet.

I am doing a clean out of some of my stuff. I have three boxes and a large pile of things to take to Goodwill, clothes that are still good but just don't work for me anymore - some because even though they still fit I shouldn't be wearing things I was wearing in high school, and some because my style has changed and I don't really need all things stuff taking up space, especially as I don't want to move it all.

This year I'm hoping to get out more and do things with friends and outdoors. I'm seriously pondering buying some snowshoes. I tried the downhill skiing thing last year and it was okay, but I don't know if its really my thing, maybe I'll try again - this time with lessons, but, there is something so calming and relaxing about being in the woods where it is still and quiet on a pair of cross -country skis or snowshoes to make you appreciate it all. I do like the ski-lifts, its the going down and not being able to stop part or not knowing who or what is right behind you going possibly out of control that I don't like. Plus my way is a much better workout. (Though my students might just be appalled that I don't have the interest in downhill skiing)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I LOVE cross country skiing and haven't tried snow shoeing but think it sounds fun. :-) Not really a downhill fan either- definitely with you on the out-of-control thing, no fun. Also, I think you are super crafty and probably making excellent Baby things for all your friends- Toby likes his soft cuddly moose and the "burp rags" were great!! :)
-Lisa