Sunday, December 21, 2008

Early Winter Break

Strange last week of the school calendar year. Monday and Tuesday we started two hours late - but since I got dropped off at schools those two days, I ended up getting there earlier than I usually do, and stayed later as well. Wednesday it didn't snow until almost 4, but we had no school. Thursday and Friday no school either. It's a good thing I sent the gerbils home with Olive on Tuesday night, otherwise the cat would learn how to catch mouse like things earlier than we planned on. Good thing I told those students to take ALL their work with them (most of them took it with them). I took my own advice, and have everything I need to grade, plan etc. So I am snowed in, with school work, and some fun projects.

I am staying here though. I was supposed to be in Spokane at this point. But Amtrak canceled my train, and they couldn't schedule me again for 2 days or something, and it was going to be only one day in Spokane, so I ended up just canceling my tickets. At least I didn't end up stranded somewhere. Glen was going to be stranded in St. Paul for 2 days because Amtrak wasn't running trains past that point (which was only found out about after I told them about my train being canceled - no pre-warning on that end). With some multi-tasking parents on the phones / Internet with Amtrak, my aunt in Wisconsin, and the airlines he ended up getting off the train in Milwaukee instead, getting picked up by my aunt, spending the night there, and then they will take him to the airport and he'll be in Spokane just a few hours before he would have beern on the train. So no family Solistice for the first time in my whole life, but, I guess I'm surviving just fine. It doesn't feel like the solstice though.

Happy first day of winter. There is about 6 inches of snow here, which is fairly unusual for the Seattle area.

No comments: