Saturday, September 27, 2008

New Job!

The paperwork is taking forever, so my plan to wait until everything has been signed has been scraped. I am officially announcing that I have a new job teaching 5th grade Highly Capable / Challenge / Gifted. I've been in the classroom since day two as a long term sub, and I was in the room on the first day, just not the teacher. They offered me the job a little over a week ago, and we told the kids on Wednesday. They were happy, which was really nice. The parents are very supportive as is the whole school. I know I've got soo much work ahead of me, I'm going to be stressed a lot, and the learning curve will be high, but the kids are great but quirky (they don't seem to like art at all, but love writing and math). It's really nice to not have to worry so much financially - no more "will I sub enough to earn enough to cover all my expenses" worries, and I get health insurance, and it's a continuing contract, so I won't be out of a job at the end of the year like I would for a leave replacement position. Some things are on hold for a while until I my act together, or summer, which ever comes first, (I'm prediciting summer). Solomon is sad, we aren't here at all during the day and we are both putting in long days. But Robby is moving in sometime in the next month and that will make the doggie happier to have someone home earlier. Of course it means there will be so many video games played that I may go insane if I stay upstairs, but they are happy, and I'm really busy so I don't really actually care that much. To be honest, I'm more concerned about increasing my teacher wardrobe, now I actually have to dress professional everyday, and I can't wear the same thing two days in a row like I could when I was subbing at different schools everyday. I'm sure I'll be updating more about the changes, but I thought I would announce it officially. Now if I could only get them to stop calling me Mrs. Waters.....

2 comments:

Team Hemphill said...

Congratulations Laurel! That's so amazing. With a new job comes new responsibilities and I know you are up for the challenge.
A trip to the Old Navy Outlet may be in order ;-)
And since you are teaching the gifted students, you SHOULD get them to understand the difference between Water and Waters. lol
Good LUCK!

Liz said...

congratulations! You did it! You will have a great time, even if you are stressed!